Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Online Comics



Off-White

Back in my days of posting my terrible fantasy art on deviantART about six years ago, one of my friends linked me to a wolf comic that wasn't cringe-worthy to read for the first time. It made it to the front page of dA every now and then with each new page out, even though it was snuffed most of the time by terribly drawn other furry comics and giant-breasted anime characters. I decided to watch the person who posted the comic, known as user akreon, to follow it weekly-monthly, or whenever they had the free time to produce each digital panel. I didn't know it was entirely three people working on it until some time later, but by that time I got too involved in school and other things to follow up on it. Now that I look back on it and have had some time to read it, I know why it's so successfully popular on deviantART. They have since produced around 840 pages now, not including those that they've done previously but revamped, because they've improved so much since they first started drawing, laying out the panels, and shading their images. It's also based off of Norse mythology, which it very isn't typical for your regular deviantART comic. It's kind of funny to look at some of the beginning panels and see that the word bubbles use to be in comic sans since it was such a popular thing to do at the time, but now they settled on a font not as….dumb looking.


Of course the other thing that people drew towards it were the talking wolves. I can pass it off as a very more-realistic Balto story, but it never really bothered me since the animals are the main subject matter behind the myth of the plot they are conveying. Humans do come across them at some point, meaning it takes place around our current century and not some world where only wolves inhabited it. Every creature on earth has a black and white spirit counterpart, and it's in no way shameful (as I believe) to learn about this story with realistic talking animals. The art direction, as well, has become so elegant and smooth with color that it makes me want to improve to produce this much art in my future should I chose to be a comic artist.

Link to the Off-White comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment